Sunday 1 July 2018

Pondersbridge

At first I thought St Thomas, locked, no keyholder, was redundant but the churchyard had been recently mown [I use the word mown in the loosest of senses] and the noticeboard had a 'service this Sunday sign' which looked recent, so, despite appearances, I think it's still in use.

This, my 131st and final Huntingdon/Soke of Peterborough church, was a serious disappointment - an ugly, unkempt and seemingly unloved Victorian building with no redeeming features, accept possibly the apse which made no impression on me at the time.. What a low to finish on.

ST THOMAS. 1869. Yellow brick, lancer-shaped windows, with a S transept and a polygonal NW turret to add the High Victorian touch. Polygonal apse.

St Thomas (2)

Another one Mee missed.

No comments:

Post a Comment